Thursday, March 03, 2005

Played with Transformers, G.I. Joe's and Thundercats - we was down wit' dat

The week is continuing. Just one more day to go and it'll be over, that's what I gotta keep telling myself.

Sometimes I think back to what I was like when I was a little kid and then I compare that boy with who I am today. I think it's safe to say that we're all different from when we were small, but there are some definite similarities there. Looking back, I can't help but smile at all the things I did that I enjoyed so much back then:

1) Sitting on the living room floor watching football. I didn't care so much about the football; I'd have my GI Joes with me and I would reinact the tackles with them.
2) Riding bikes with my friends down to the Red Dirt. The Red Dirt was this area just a short ride away from my house where we would build forts and do club stuff. We would always decide to build a fort, work on it for 2 or 3 days, then find something else to amuse ourselves. Once, I "borrowed" my parents shovel and ho to help with the construction, fully intent on returning them. Well, I forgot them and the next day they were gone. That was the first time I ever had to spend my own money on something like that. I was 8 I think.
3) Delighting in spooky stories and other such superstitions. There was an old abandoned house back in some woods near my neighborhood.. we always said it was haunted. The thing actually WAS pretty creepy.. there was glass all over the floor and whenever you walked on it you swear you could hear stuff behind you. I think I only went there 2 or 3 times in the span of almost 12 years. I was seriously scared of that place.
4) Playing baseball. I loved the sport so much as a kid. When I wasn't playing it, I was drawing pictures of myself playing it. I tended to get put at first base, shortstop, or outfield. I think I had the most fun at SS. I think you could say that baseball helped put me on the track of Telecommunications. When I stopped playing baseball, I found that I still wanted to follow the sport.. and I figured I'd do it through sports broadcasting. I would always goof around with my voice in middle and high school. When I first got to college, I was entertaining the idea of going into radio broadcasting. The fact that there is NO money in it convinced me otherwise and I explored other areas within the J-school.. to find Telecomm!

There were so many others.. an update for another time I suppose. Going home this weekend to visit w/ the parentals. Mom's having surgery next week.. here's to hopin' that turns out okay!

0 comments: