Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Summer time...

... is a strange time to try growing a beard, but I'm doing it anyway.  It all started with a move, of all things.  The wife and baby and I have moved out of our townhouse in the city (where we had been for over 3 years) to a rental house located in a small town about 30 minutes away.  I'm still adjusting to the longer commute, but other than that things are going pretty smoothly.  We wanted a place that was all one story, as we did not want to have the baby dealing with stairs once she learns to crawl and walk.  The house also comes with a great fenced in backyard that Bauer absolutely l-o-v-e-s.  He will bolt out of the backdoor and sprint after the squirrels. 


It's funny because the squirrel ends up dead.

Anyway, I was talking about my beard.  It all started when my electric razor and its cord were packed and I could not find them.  After a week, they were finally located, but by that time I had grown more facial hair than I ever had before.  So I decided to just go with it.  We'll see how it looks after 3 weeks or so, at which point I will make the judgment call as to whether Sir Beard will live or meet his fate via the blade.


Evidence of said beard.  And also evidence that my offspring is ridiculously cute.

I also realized (yet again) last night that I'm all grown up.  As I mentioned, we now are in a house.  With a yard.  That needs to be maintained.  Which means I bought a lawn mower a couple weeks ago, and last night I used it for the first time.  And I'm pleased to say that it was the easiest lawn mower I've ever used.  Started up easily with one crank, and everything was smooth sailing from there.  It's an assisted push Craftsman with variable speed control.  Took about an hour to mow the front, side, and back yards.  Next time, I'm going to crack out the iPod so I'll have something to listen to.

Which brings me to the topic of Podcasts.  I've never really owned an iPod- I have one that technically belongs to my office, and I haven't used it much.  But that is about to change.  Between mowing the lawn and commuting 30 minutes to work (and back), I've decided I'm going to begin listening to music and Podcasts.  Problem is, I don't really know where to start as far as podcasts go.  I'm going to being checking out the Bombcast from Giantbomb.com, and the Joystiq podcast.  We'll see if I like them.  Do you have any you would suggest?  I'm open for trying just about anything.


3 comments:

TheslaminJ said...

I listen to The BBC News Pod which gives you a rundown of world events in an unbiased way. You WILL however have sections about British politics/events, but you can just scrub past that stuff. I'm also a fan of the BBC's Digital Planet (technology) and Science in Action (...science). All very high quality. You already mentioned the Joystiq PoyawdCast (YE-HAH!) and Giantbomb, both fantastic.

Anonymous said...

It is SO funny to read about your "growing up". I remember very well indeed the days of the beard growing (and shaving), the lawnmowers and my girls still being little. Such fun days!! Enjoy them because they go by all too fast. Podcasts? I have my itunes set up with a Daily Podcast playlist that I configure so that it's always fresh and rotating. Every morning when I sync my iPhone, a fresh bunch of podcasts awaits for the day's travels. It's great! I listen to the BBC News podcast, Anderson Cooper AC360, TEDTalks (Joe told me about TED and I have never looked back--these are awesome!), The Wall Street Journal this morning (a really fresh and sometimes humorous look at the news/finance), and The Economist. There are tons of them out there, but a lot are mediocre, so choose wisely! See you guys soon before your beach trip!

Lake Norman said...

I listen to The BBC News Pod which gives you a rundown of world events in an unbiased way.